The Oneida-Herkimer Recycling Center opened in 1991. From 1991-2011, we have recycled the following quantities of recyclable materials:
- Newspaper - 299,311 tons - 598 million pounds- The pile of newspaper would be 4,535 miles high (a 4 foot pile weighs 100 lbs.). That would stretch from New York City to San Francisco, California and back to Des Moines, Iowa. One ton of newspaper saves 17 trees; we have saved 5,986,220 trees.
- Corrugated Cardboard - 150,300 tons - That would fill 71,571 ten-wheel dump trucks with 1,002,002 cubic yards. Bumper to bumper they would stretch nearly 407 miles.
- Glass Containers - 43,354 tons - That would be the equivalent to the weight of 134 Statues of Liberty (322 tons).
- Plastic Containers - 25,762 tons - We save 10 barrels oil for every ton we recycle. We have saved 257,620 barrels of oil or 14,169,100 gallons of oil.
- Metal Cans - 36,147 tons - Approximately 1.5 tons of metal makes new cars. That would produce approximately 24,098 economy size cars.
- Mixed Office Paper - 11,525 tons - Every day, employees use about 1.0 pound of paper each. That is one day's worth of paper for 23,049,660 employees.