COMPOST FOR YOUR BUSINESS
The Authority also operates a yard waste composting facility that produces finished compost for the residents of Oneida and Herkimer Counties. Finished compost is nutrient-rich and fuels plant growth and restores vitality to depleted soil. Local residents and businesses like the idea of closing the recycling loop by purchasing compost made from local yard waste. Screened, cured compost is made from processed leaves, grass clippings and brush (no solid waste or sludge). Compost is available in bulk loads for pick-up or in 1.2 cubic feet bags. Contact the Authority at (315) 733-1224 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and wholesale pricing.
Uses for the compost product at your workplace
- Compost can be used as a soil additive to improve moisture retention and add important organic matter. Compost alone is not a fertilizer. Compost worked into clay and sandy soils improves texture and aerates the soil thereby facilitating root development.
- For garden beds, compost can be added to the entire bed or just to seed furrows or transplant holes.
- When using around trees or shrubs, or for mulch purposes, compost should be worked into the top few inches of soil.
- In potted plants, compost can be 1/4 to 1/3 of the container volume.
- As a top dressing for lawns, lightly sprinkle over existing lawn.
Clean wood pallets can be processed and recycled at the Eastern Transfer Station in Utica at a reduced cost and not disposed of as solid waste. Contact the Authority at (315) 733-1224 or email@example.com for more information.