The most effective way to reduce waste is to not create it in the first place. Manufacturing new products requires raw materials and energy. As a result, reusing is one of the most effective ways you can conserve natural resources, energy and landfill space.
The Authority encourages reuse before disposal. There are various locations and organizations in Oneida and Herkimer Counties that accept used items as a donation for reuse or recycling.
Some acceptable items include clothing, books, electronics, furniture, household items, crafting supplies and more. Certain organizations will arrange for the pickup of donated items.
Please click on the links below to find lists of acceptable items for donation.
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore (Utica)
- New 2 U Thrift Store (Utica)
- Second Chance Tool Store (Utica)
- Faith Furniture (Utica)
- CNY Veteran's Outreach Center (Utica)
- The Salvation Army (Ilion)
- The Salvation Army (Rome)
- The Rescue Mission of Utica
- The Rescue Mission of Rome
- Goodwill-HARC Store & Donation Center (Herkimer)
- St. Pauly Textile (numerous locations)
- Electronic Donation Services (Rome)
- DoorStepInk Recycling Program (Mail-In)
- Utica Creative Reuse
If your organization would like to be added to the above list, please Contact Us.
Additionally, if you are looking for industrial materials or have industrial materials that can be repurposed, please visit repurposedmaterialsinc.com. This company buys and sells a variety of materials and equipment for repurposing. The Authority also encourages you to visit the Western/Central New York Materials Exchange at mat-ex.org. This website allows users to post and browse listings of items that are available for re-use.