How Much We Have Recycled
Since the Oneida-Herkimer Recycling Center opened in 1991, we have recycled the following quantities of recyclable materials:
- Newspaper - 364,800 tons, or 729 million pounds - The pile of newspaper would stretch from Utica to San Francisco, California and back to Buffalo, NY. One ton of newspaper saves 20 trees; we have saved over 7,000,000 trees.
- Corrugated Cardboard - 194,100 tons - That would fill 93, 300 ten-wheel dump trucks with 1,000,000 cubic yards. Bumper to bumper they would stretch nearly 455 miles.
- Glass Containers - 60,116 tons - That would be the equivalent to the weight of 187 Statues of Liberty (322 tons).
- Plastic Containers - 36,100 tons - Saved 363,888 barrels of oil.
- Metal Cans - 42,000 tons (1.5 tons/car) - That would produce almost 28,000 economy size cars.
- Mixed Office Paper - 12,100 tons (1.0 lb. per employee) - That is one day's worth of paper for 24,200,000 employees.