This year marks the 48th annual Earth Day when people from across the Country join together to participate in events that help improve and protect our environment. In celebration of Earth Day 2018, the Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste Authority (Authority) is partnering with the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) to host its annual Earth Day events on Saturday, April 21st.
“The Authority’s Earth Day events are family-friendly and include free services and activities for both adults and children,” said Authority Recycling Educator Jamie Tuttle. “The day’s events include free giveaways, free children’s activities and an opportunity to see what happens to Oneida and Herkimer Counties’ recyclables once they arrive at the Recycling Center,” continued Tuttle.
The Authority will hold its annual Earth Day events at the Oneida-Herkimer Recycling Center, 80 Leland Avenue Ext., Utica, on Saturday, April 21st as follows:
10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- Free Tours of the Recycling Center will be given from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
- Free Confidential Paper Shredding in cooperation with CONFIDATA—There will be a limit of three (3) boxes of papers/documents per vehicle. Businesses and professional offices are not eligible to participate in this event. Computer discs, tapes and other recording media will also be accepted but must be separated from the paper. All material will be immediately shredded and placed in a collection vehicle for recycling. Residents do not need to remove their name or other personal information from the documents.
- Free Collection & Disposal of Unused Medication and Pharmaceuticals in cooperation with the Oneida County Sewer District and the NYS DEC Environmental Conservation Police Officers (ECOs)—Accepted items include expired or unwanted prescriptions/medications (liquid, pill or powder form), over the counter medications, vitamins/supplements and veterinary/pet medications.
- Free Information about Oneida County Sewer District’s Operation Ripple Effect.
- Free Utica “Zoomobile” Demonstrations will take place featuring animals from the Utica Zoo.
- Appearances from “Woodsy Owl” and Utica Comets Mascot “Audie.”
- Free Planting Activity and Presentation for Children beginning at 11 AM.
- DEC Awards Ceremony for Plastic Film Recycling Challenge Winners at 10:30 AM.
- DEC Lands and Forests will be passing out free seedlings.
- DEC will be sharing education and information on fish.
If you cannot attend the Earth Day events, keep in mind that the programs listed below are offered year-round.
- Bulky Rigid Plastics Drop-Off – Residents can deliver bulky rigid plastic items that cannot be accepted and recycled through curbside recycling at no cost. Bulky rigid plastics are hard plastic items (not film or flexible plastic) such as clean plastic drums, totes and empty garbage cans, clean buckets/pails, plastic toys (i.e.playhouses), plastic lawn furniture and coolers, plastic pallets and shelving, plastic laundry baskets and plastic recycling bins & carts. Bulky rigid plastics cannot be mixed with other plastic recyclables and cannot be set-out with regular curbside recyclables.This program is offered year-round.
- Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off – Residents can drop off household hazardous waste such as paint and chemicals at no charge. This program is offered April 1st – September 30th each year.
- Electronics Drop-Off – Residents can drop off electronic waste such as TVs, computers and video game consoles at no charge. This program is offered year-round.
- Clothing & Textiles Drop-Off – Residents can drop off unwanted clothing, shoes, belts, purses, blankets, sheets and drapes for reuse and recycling. This program is offered year-round.
- Compost for Purchase – The Authority’s compost has been certified by the US Composting Council under its Seal of Testing Assurance Program as consistent, high-quality compost. This means the Authority’s compost has been tested by third party laboratories to ensure that it meets all state and federal environmental requirements.
- Screened, cured compost material will be available for purchase:
▪ Bagged Price: Bags of compost weigh about 45 pounds each and are $2.00 each, or 3 bags for $5.00
▪ Pick-up Truck Price: $15.00 per small pick-up truck, $20.00 per large pick-up truck
▪ Bulk Price: $15.00 per cubic yard loaded in your dump truck
- Disposal of Pharmaceuticals – Residents may deliver pharmaceuticals to numerous permanent locations for disposal.
For more information regarding the Authority’s Earth Day events, for a list of other local Earth Day activities, or for hours of operation and information on special recycling programs, please Contact Us or call the Authority’s Office at (315) 733-1224. You can also visit the Authority’s Facebook page (Oneida Herkimer Solid Waste Authority) to ask questions and find more information on these topics.