The Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste Authority (Authority) is pleased to announce that Utica National Insurance Group (Utica Mutual Insurance Company, its affiliated and subsidiary companies) located at 180 Genesee Street in New Hartford, has obtained the Authority’s RecycleOne Business Certification.
The RecycleOne Business Certification requires an onsite review from Authority staff to verify that specific solid waste management, recycling and energy reduction criteria have been achieved. If the criteria have been achieved, the Authority will issue the facility or business an official RecycleOne Business Certification.
This certification is free and available to all businesses located in Oneida or Herkimer counties. Accepted businesses will receive RecycleOne logos and updated quarterly recycling information. RecycleOne businesses are featured on the Authority website and will be eligible to win the Authority’s annual Recycling Champion Award.
Utica National has nearly 1,200 employees nationwide, with about 600 working at the local New Hartford office. Recent renovations at this facility have made a large, positive impact on the environment.
Utica National’s environmental efforts include:
- Energy Star certified in 2017, with expected renewal for 2018
- Computer prompts to encourage double-sided printing (a feature that saves 400-700 trees annually!)
- Shredding and recycling all paper
- Creating an active Green Team (with approximately 10 employees) to recommend energy savings initiatives
Recent building improvements at Utica National include:
- Replacing old light bulbs/ballasts with energy efficient LED bulbs and ballasts
- The purchase of energy-efficient boilers, industry-recognized sustainable carpet and finishes, and a new EPDM insulated roof
- Minimizing single-use disposable cups in the workplace
- Distributing recycling “how-to” guides throughout the office
- Planting a tree (at New Hartford location) every Earth Day
“Utica National is a large organization, and the recycling programs and policies that they introduce into the workplace have a ripple effect on our local recycling stream. Utica National’s Green Team has done an excellent job, and the pursuit of certifications such as Energy Star and our RecycleOne program is great to see. The Authority is happy to certify Utica National as a RecycleOne Business,” says Emily Albright, Authority Director of Recycling.
Recycling in the workplace not only helps the environment, but can be economically advantageous by allowing for lower costs for waste removal and possible revenues from recycling. The program also encourages social responsibility, positive public response and sustainability.
For more information on the Authority’s RecycleOne Business Recycling Program, or to get YOUR business certified, please contact Emily Albright, Director of Recycling, at (315) 733-1224 ext. 1600 or visit www.RecycleOneBusiness.com to download the RecycleOne Business Recycling Program Guide.