April 20, 2020
This year marks the 50th annual Earth Day when people across the Country take action to help improve and protect our environment. While people cannot gather to celebrate Earth Day 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste Authority (Authority) offers tips to celebrate as we shelter in place.
Ways to celebrate Earth Day from home:
- Get Outdoors – Break up your day and boost your mood by breathing in fresh air. Take a walk outside alone or with your family and clean up litter along your property. Be sure to bring a bag and wear gloves.
- Start or Maintain Gardens – Welcome the spring season by planting native plants, fruit and vegetables.
- Start a Compost Pile – Composting food and yard waste will reduce the amount of waste you send to the landfill while leaving you with incredibly rich fertilizer to use in your garden or landscaping.
- Learn and Reflect – share and reflect on what behaviors you practice or actions you are taking to encourage others and welcome new ideas to add to current practices.
- Give Thanks – Use art to show gratitude and appreciation to those working the front-lines. Garbage and recycling collection haulers are continuing their work to ensure our communities continue to function. Show appreciation by leaving a note or drawing on your garbage or recycling containers. Photos of your appreciation could be features in the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) newsletter as well at NYSDEC social media by submitting them via email to email@example.com.
- Participate in the NYSDEC’s 18th Annual New York Recycles! Poster Contest – This poster contest helps NY State achieve its goal of higher excellence in waste reduction, recycling, composting and buying recycled products and packaging. Submit posters by May 29, 2020, and winners will be notified by the end of the school year. For more information and contest rules, visit https://www.dec.ny.gov/education/32506.html.
The Authority also encourages residents to visit the NYSDEC website (dec.ny.gov) which offers 50 Earth Day tips that can be adopted as everyday practices. Many can be put in place right at home and not only reduce, reuse, recycle and conserve energy & resources, but save households money.
The Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste Authority commends the region’s residents and businesses for their waste reduction and recycling efforts as it continues its mission to manage the region’s solid waste and recyclable material in an environmentally sound, cost-effective, efficient and safe manner. The Authority remains committed to maintaining and enhancing the region’s self-reliant integrated solid waste management system while protecting the health, safety and welfare of the region.
For more information on solid waste and recycling in Oneida and Herkimer Counties, please visit www.ohswa.org or call the Authority’s Main Office at (315) 733-1224. You can also visit the Authority’s Facebook page (Oneida Herkimer Solid Waste Authority) for more information on these topics.