The Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste Authority appreciates your recycling efforts and is pleased to provide assistance by offering recycling containers for use at special community events. If you are interested in obtaining recycling containers for your event, please complete the request form. Two types of recycling containers are available and can be viewed below.
Metal-Framed Recycling Container:Metal-framed containers are easy to transport and are clearly labeled with a plastic cover. The recycling containers require a 40“ x 46” clear plastic bag (NOT PROVIDED). When used with clear plastic bags, the recycling containers comply with the United States Department of Homeland Security and New York State Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services requirements for proper collection of solid waste and recyclables at large gathering events. The metal-framed containers are available for LOAN at NO CHARGE.
Cardboard Recycling Container: Cardboard recycling containers are available for collection of bottles and cans. The cardboard containers are 18” x 18” x 36”. Following your event, please recycle the cardboard container(s) with your other cardboard. The cardboard containers do not need to be returned to the Authority.
Some additional tips for recycling success at public events:
- Recycling containers should be made available and placed NEXT TO garbage/trash cans to prevent recyclables being mixed with garbage and vice versa.
- Recycling containers should be clearly marked so people can distinguish them from garbage containers.
- Designated volunteers or staff should be available to monitor and empty recycling containers during and after the event.
- Educate volunteers and ask them to check for contamination (i.e., garbage mixed with recyclables).
- Encourage vendors and organizers to “THINK GREEN.”
- Ask food vendors to consider alternatives to Styrofoam. (Styrofoam is not recyclable in our program.)
- Use recyclable paper for flyers and print materials.
- Promote your event electronically – spread the word using the web and social media.