September 2018 marks 30 years since the inception of the Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste Authority (Authority). To celebrate the Authority’s 30 years of service, the public is invited to attend a Recognition Ceremony and Community Open house on Saturday, September 29th.
The Authority will hold its 30th Anniversary Recognition Ceremony and Community Open House at the Oneida-Herkimer Recycling Center, 80 Leland Avenue Ext., Utica, on Saturday, September 29th as follows:
11:00 – 11:30 AM – Recognition Ceremony
Other Events 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- Free Tours of the Recycling Center
- Free Confidential Paper Shredding in cooperation with CONFIDATA—There will be a limit of three (3) boxes of papers/documents per vehicle. Businesses and professional offices are not eligible to participate in this event. Computer discs, tapes and other recording media will also be accepted but must be separated from the paper. All material will be immediately shredded and placed in a collection vehicle for recycling. Residents do not need to remove their name or other personal information from the documents.
- Free Collection & Disposal of Unused Medication and Pharmaceuticals in cooperation with the Oneida County Sewer District and the NYS DEC Environmental Conservation Police Officers (ECOs)—Accepted items include expired or unwanted prescriptions/medications (liquid, pill or powder form), over the counter medications, vitamins/supplements and veterinary/pet medications.
The Authority will also offer its regular services. Keep in mind that September 29th marks the last day for 2018 Household Hazardous Waste collection. The other programs listed are offered year-round.
- Bulky Rigid Plastics Drop-Off – Residents candeliver bulky rigid plastic items that cannot be accepted and recycled through curbside recycling at no cost. Bulky rigid plastics are hard plastic items (not film or flexible plastic) such as clean plastic drums, totes and empty garbage cans, clean buckets/pails, plastic toys (i.e. playhouses), plastic lawn furniture and coolers, plastic pallets and shelving, plastic laundry baskets and plastic recycling bins & carts. Bulky rigid plastics cannot be mixed with other plastic recyclables and cannot be set-out with regular curbside recyclables. This program is offered year-round.
- Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off – Residents can drop off household hazardous waste such as paint and chemicals at no charge. This program is offered April – September each year.
- Electronics Drop-Off – Residents can drop off electronic waste such as TVs, computers and video game consoles at no charge. This program is offered year-round.
- Clothing & Textiles Drop-Off – Residents can drop off unwanted clothing, shoes, belts, purses, blankets, sheets and drapes for reuse and recycling. This program is offered year-round.
- Compost for Purchase – The Authority’s compost has been certified by the US Composting Council under its Seal of Testing Assurance Program as consistent, high-quality compost. This means the Authority’s compost has been tested by third party laboratories to ensure that it meets all state and federal environmental requirements.
-Screened, cured compost material will be available for purchase:
-Bagged Price: Bags of compost weigh about 45 pounds each and are $2.00 each, or 3 bags for $5.00
-Pick-up Truck Price: $15.00 per small pick-up truck, $20.00 per large pick-up truck
-Bulk Price: $15.00 per cubic yard loaded in your dump truck
For more information regarding the Authority’s 30th Anniversary Recognition Ceremony and Community Open House or for hours of operation and information on special recycling programs, please visit www.ohswa.org or call the Authority’s Office at (315) 733-1224. You can also visit the Authority’s Facebook page (Oneida Herkimer Solid Waste Authority) to ask questions and find more information on these topics.