2018 Earth Day Poster Contest
What is the 2018 Earth Day Poster Contest?
The 2018 Earth Day Poster Contest is sponsored by the Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste Authority in order to promote and educate youth and the community on proper curbside recycling, plastic film recycling and the importance of reuse. This initiative focuses on reduction, reuse and recycling to divert waste from our region’s landfill and conserve natural resources and energy.
Who can participate?
The Contest is open to all students in public/private schools and youth organizations in Oneida and Herkimer Counties.
What is the judging criteria?
Posters will be judged based on the following:
- Clear message conveyed by the text and artwork;
- One of the poster themes listed below is clearly addressed;
- Creativity, originality and artistic quality;
- Visual clarity – easily read; and
- Bright and colorful.
- No copyrighted artwork, characters or name brands can be used.
What poster themes can I choose from?
Students must choose to address one of the following themes in their poster.
- Importance of Reduction and Reuse – Waste reduction is so important that it is the first of the 3 R’s (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle). Waste reduction means to decrease how much waste (garbage) you create. Examples of how you can reduce waste includes using reusable items rather than single-use or disposable items, making sure to print double-sided and using reusable containers when you pack your lunch. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THIS THEME IDEA.
- Curbside Recycling – The RecycleOne – One and Done program is for all residents and businesses in the region. Recycling can take place wherever you go! It is important to only place acceptable material in your recycling container and to make sure the items are placed in the container loosely, with no plastic bags, string or twine. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THIS THEME IDEA.
- Plastic Film Recycling – Plastic film (i.e., plastic bags, bread bags, cereal bags) cannot be placed in curbside recycling containers. It is important to teach the community that plastic film should be taken back to grocery stores for proper recycling. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THIS THEME IDEA.
When is the 2018 Earth Day Poster Contest?
Poster Contest submissions must be received by Friday, April 13, 2018.
What will students receive if they participate?
Students can enter in one of three categories: Grammar (K-6), Junior High (7-9), High School (10-12).
First place winners in each category will receive a $250 Amazon Gift Card.Second place winners in each category receive a $100 Amazon Gift Card. Third place winners in each category receive a $50 Amazon Gift Card.
Winning posters will be professionally printed and displayed at various locations throughout the region to educate the community. Additionally, the Authority will utilize the posters in its public education program.
All poster submissions will be posted on the Authority’s website and social media outlets.
**Winning posters will be submitted to the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) “New York Recycles!” Poster Contest.**
What are the poster requirements?
Posters created by students must be their own original artwork. Release Form must be submitted with poster.
Students may use a variety of media, such as watercolor, pen and ink, crayon, chalk, markers, etc. Students are encouraged to incorporate recycled or recyclable materials into their creations. Keep in mind that posters will be on public display and should be easy to see or read. (Note: If students are incorporating recyclables into their artwork, depth is restricted to one-half inch.)
Size & Layout
Minimum: 8 ½” X 11”
Maximum: 18” X 24”
Landscape layout ONLY