Sharps cannot be set out with your recyclables! Place used needles, syringes and lancets in a puncture-proof container like a laundry detergent bottle with a top. When full, tape lid/top shut, label as "sharps" and place in the garbage.
The Authority also accepts discarded residential medical sharps (syringes and lancets) at the Utica Residential Convenience Station during regular hours of operation, at no charge. The medical sharps are collected and delivered to the Faxton-St. Luke’s Healthcare facility for proper and safe disposal.
Watch the SHARPS DISPOSAL video by clicking here.
When disposing of your medical sharps at any location, they must be in a sealed, hard container and labeled as such.
The following locations also offer household sharps disposal programs:
*Call the facilities below before dropping off sharps in order to ensure days/hours of sharps acceptance.
- St. Elizabeth Medical Center, 2209 Genesee Street, Utica: (315) 798-8249.
- Faxton-St. Lukes Healthcare- St. Lukes Campus, 1656 Champlin Ave, New Hartford: (315) 624-6186
- Rome Memorial Hospital, 1500 North James Street, Rome: (315) 338-7241
- Sunset Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Inc., 232 Academy Street, Boonville: (315) 942-4301
- Katherine Luther Home, 108 Utica Road, Clinton: (315) 853-5515
- Presbyterian Home, 4290 Middle Settlement Road, New Hartford: (315) 797-7500 ext. 2218
- Charles T. Sitrin Health Care Center, Inc., 2050 Tilden Avenue, New Hartford: (315) 797-3114
- Eastern Star Home & Infirmary, 8290 State Route 69, Oriskany: (315) 736-9311 ext. 226
- Harding Nursing Home, 220 Tower Street, Waterville: (315) 841-4156
- Heritage Health Care Center, 1657 Sunset Avenue, Utica: (315) 797-7392
- ACR Health, 401 Columbia Street, Utica: (315) 793-0661