How Much Have We Recycled
Since the Oneida-Herkimer Recycling Center opened in 1991, we have recycled the following quantities of recyclable materials:
- Newspaper - 299,500 tons, or 599 million pounds - The pile of newspaper would stretch from Utica to San Francisco, California and back to Des Moines, Iowa. One ton of newspaper saves 20 trees; we have saved over 6,000,000 trees.
- Corrugated Cardboard - 150,000 tons - That would fill 72,000 ten-wheel dump trucks with 1,000,000 cubic yards. Bumper to bumper they would stretch nearly 407 miles.
- Glass Containers - 43,000 tons - That would be the equivalent to the weight of 135 Statues of Liberty (322 tons).
- Plastic Containers - 25,700 tons - Saved 259,000 barrels of oil.
- Metal Cans - 36,000 tons (1.5 tons/car) - That would produce almost 24,000 economy size cars.
- Mixed Office Paper - 11,500 tons (1.0 lb. per employee) - That is one day's worth of paper for 23,000,000 employees.